Tuesday 4 March 2014

Not with those tears in your eyes


A homeless man attends to a stray dog while the police swarms behind them; this photograph was taken by Petros Giannakouris (AP) during a protest outside the Greek finance ministry in Athens on 27.09.2011. And it reminded me of another dog: Constance, or the dog of tears, in José Saramago's Blindness and Seeing; the following excerpt is from the latter (London: Vintage, transl. Margaret Jull Costa, 2007, p. 251):

The dog had come closer and was almost touching the superintendent's knees with its nose. It was looking at him and its eyes were saying, I won't hurt you, don't be afraid, she wasn't when I found her on that other day. Then the superintendent slowly reached out his hand and touched the dog's head. He felt like crying and letting the tears course down his face, perhaps the marvel will be repeated. The doctor's wife put her book away in her bag and said, Let's go, Where, asked the superintendent, You'll have lunch with us, won't you, if you've nothing more important to do, Are you sure, About what, That you want to have me sitting at your table, Yes, I'm sure, And you're not afraid I might be tricking you, Not with those tears in your eyes, no.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

So sweet and moving...both the picture and the excerpt...

aris.cs said...

I am happy you think so. These are some of my favourite books, and the dog - well, this is no ordinary dog. It seems it is Loukanikos...

http://content.time.com/time/photogallery/0,29307,2102191_2327694,00.html

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Loukanikos