Monday 19 October 2015

The uncompromising poetry of Katerina Gogou



                                   What I fear most
                                   is becoming "a poet"...
                                   Locking myself in the room
                                   gazing at the sea
                                   and forgetting...
                                   I fear that the stitches over my veins might heal
                                   and, instead of having blur memories about TV news,
                                   I take to scribbling papers and selling "my views"...
                                   I fear that those who stepped over us might accept me
                                   so that they can use me.
                                   I fear that my screams might become a murmur
                                   so that to serve putting my people to sleep.
                                   I fear that I might learn to use meter and rhythm
                                   and thus I will be trapped within them
                                   longing for my verses to become popular songs.
                                   I fear that I might buy binoculars in order to bring closer
                                   the sabotage actions in which I won't be participating.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Beautiful...I'm surprised that although the poem is translated in English, it works equally well :)

aris.cs said...

It's true, it works out like all strong texts. And it is such a shame her work has not been widely translated, I think 'Three Clicks Left' was published in English but I don't know if it is still in print.