Thursday 22 September 2011

For all the Troy Davises of the world

According to Brian Evans of Amnesty International USA, Troy Davis’ execution was “an abuse of power that exposed a justice system devoid of humanity, a dysfunctional destructive force in denial about its own deeply embedded flaws,” while David Zirin in The Nation addressed it as “little more than a legal lynching.”

Amnesty International also brings up the cases of Alireza Molla-Soltani in Iran, Zahid Husain Shah in China, and Lawrence Brewer in the US, who were executed on the same day, and emphasises the need to abolish the death penalty.  As Troy Davis said in his message the day before his execution:

“The struggle for justice doesn’t end with me. This struggle is for all the Troy Davises who came before me and all the ones who will come after me. I’m in good spirits and I’m prayerful and at peace. But I will not stop fighting until I’ve taken my last breath.”

Calls for action & further reading: 

Troy Davis: the fight goes on, Amnesty International UK, 22.09.2011
Not in my name pledge, Amnesty International USA
Leave a message of solidarity, Amnesty International UK
A grievous wrong, Editorial, The New York Times, 21.09.2011

No comments: