Saturday 25 June 2011

They're all the same, but each one is different from every other one...

A recent comment by black symphony reminded me of Smoke, a tender film directed by Wayne Wang and Paul Auster, who also wrote the screenplay. It includes one of the best reflections on photography ever articulated: it is in the scene where Auggie Wren (Harvey Keitel), the manager of a small tobacco shop in Brooklyn, explains to the writer Paul Benjamin (William Hurt) why he photographs the same place, from the same angle, every morning, all these years.... 


 

2 comments:

black symphony said...

I am proud that with my previous comment I reminded you of this. I haven't seen the film but this particular scene is very poetic and true at the same time. This subtle piano music on the background makes it even more touching.

aris.cs said...

You are very kind. I think you would love this film!

: )