Friday 1 March 2013

Flightless bird, grounded, bleeding

Drawing by Melissa Peterson 

As I'm not the greatest fan of indie folk, or the Twilight series for that matter, it took me some time to come across Flightless Bird, American Mouth by Iron and Wine this is the stage name of the singer/songwriter Samuel Beam. Apparently the song was selected by Kristen Stewart for the prom scene at the end of the first Twilight film, which I watched with considerable delay.

And so the song stayed with me; every time I come across a flightless bird, or when I become one myself, I find it soothing. Maybe it is because of its irresistible melody, or maybe it's just me reading too much into it; like being grounded and bleeding, and yet still hoping and struggling to fly away.

Any day now.


I was a quick-wit boy
Diving too deep for coins
All of your street light eyes 
Wide on my plastic toys
Then when the cops closed the fair
I cut my long baby hair
Stole me a dog-eared map
And called for you everywhere

Have I found you
Flightless bird, jealous, weeping
Or lost you
American mouth, big pill looming
 

Now I'm a fat house cat 
Nursing my sore blunt tongue
Watching the warm poison rats 
Curl through the wide fence cracks
Pissing on magazine photos
Those fishing lures thrown in the cold and clean
Blood of Christ mountain stream 

Have I found you
Flightless bird, grounded, bleeding
Or lost you
American mouth, big pill, stuck going down

No comments: