Saturday 3 March 2012

A rainy day unlike any other


Have you ever met a taxi driver who writes poetry? Or a poet who drives a taxi for a living? Obviously not, because there arent any, right?

Well, it was raining that day. I was on my way to work in the centre of Athens, and I had to be there by 14.30. I go there by train, and then change for the bus; when I went to the bus stop the rain was pouring, and there were delays because of the increased traffic. As the time was already 14.20, my only alternative was to stop a taxi. This is something I rarely do, but as I was fairly close to my destination it would only be a short and inexpensive ride.

I was sitting in the back seat going through my lecture notes one last time, when the taxi driver, a middle-aged working class man, asked for my opinion on the economic crisis. A year has passed since then and when I look back I realise that this was the most interesting discussion Ive ever had on the matter. We were both so absorbed in it that we almost passed the point I was supposed to get off.

And as I was getting off, the driver suddenly asked me if I read poetry. It wasnt exactly a question though; it sounded more like a statement of his impression of me, waiting for verification.

I said yes. And then he offered me a copy of his collection of poems as a present. Apparently he is a self-published poet, and a rather good one I must say. I wish I had a way to contact him and ask him if he would like me to post some of his work online. I can only hope that I will do so next time I run late on a rainy day; maybe this is the very beauty of such unexpected occasions. But still, there is something I think he would enjoy – it is the concluding part of Hollow Men, by T. S. Eliot:

        Here we go round the prickly pear
        Prickly pear prickly pear
        Here we go round the prickly pear
        At five o’clock in the morning.

        Between the idea
        And the reality
        Between the motion
        And the act
        Falls the Shadow
                                        For Thine is the Kingdom

        Between the conception
        And the creation
        Between the emotion
        And the response
        Falls the Shadow
                                        Life is very long

        Between the desire
        And the spasm
        Between the potency
        And the existence
        Between the essence
        And the descent
        Falls the Shadow
                                        For Thine is the Kingdom

        For Thine is
        Life is
        For Thine is the

        This is the way the world ends
        This is the way the world ends
        This is the way the world ends
        Not with a bang but a whimper.

P.S.
And speaking of bangs and whimpers, the following links may be of interest:









After all, it was Thomas Jefferson who wrote that banking establishments are more dangerous than standing armies, in his letter to John Taylor, 28 May 1816, available at the Library of Congress. And if one was to put what the crisis is about in a nutshell, this phrase seems to me as a fine choice of words.

No comments: