Thursday 1 March 2012

Film quotes #1 Mr Magorium's Wonder Emporium


Mr. Magoriums Wonder Emporium is a warm and enjoyable film written and directed by Zach Helm; it also includes one of the best film quotes of all time. Mr. Magorium (Dustin Hoffman) is a 243 year-old owner of a magic toy store, and a father figure to the store manager Molly Mahoney (Natalie Portman), to whom he wants to leave his business after he dies. In this scene, he tells her that it is time to say goodbye. There have been many narratives addressing the loss of a loved one, and the struggle of the ones who are left behind to restructure their lives; but rarely have such issues been addressed with such a gentle edge.

Mr. MAGORIUM: When King Lear dies in Act V, do you know what Shakespeare has written?

(MAHONEY nods “no”)

Mr. MAGORIUM: He’s written “he dies.” That’s all, nothing more. No fanfare, no metaphor, no brilliant final words. The culmination of the most influential work of dramatic literature is “he dies.” It takes Shakespeare, a genius, to come up with “he dies.” And yet every time I read those two words, I find myself overwhelmed with dysphoria. And I know it’s only natural to be sad, but not because of the words “he dies,” but because of the life we saw prior to the words.
 

(Pause. Mr. MAGORIUM walks towards MAHONEY)

Mr. MAGORIUM: I’ve lived all five of my acts, Mahoney, and I am not asking you to be happy that I must go. I’m only asking that you turn the page, continue reading, and let the next story begin. And, if anyone asks what became of me, you relate my life in all its wonder, and end it with a simple, and modest, “he died.

MAHONEY: (crying) I love you.

Mr. MAGORIUM: I love you too.
 

(Mr. MAGORIUM helps MAHONEY up, and then sighs)

Mr. MAGORIUM: Your life is an occasion. Rise to it.


No comments: