Tuesday 27 December 2011

Fire and Ice: Within Temptation did it again!

Last week, the famous Dutch band Within Temptation released the song ''Fire And Ice'' as their 4th single off their pioneering and successful album ''The Unforgiving''. I consider this song to be one of their best moments on the album as well as one of Sharon Den Adel's top performances, once more revealing her great vocal range and unbelievable strength.

The video contains footage of the band's live performances, and also puts forward an ambiguous and powerful story about a regretful angel. In other words, it is a visual masterpiece with all its parts perfectly connected. Thumbs up for Sharon the Great and her fellow bandmates!!!


Every word you're saying is a lie
Run away my dear
But every sign will say your heart is dead

Bury all the memories
Cover them with dirt
Where's the love we once had
Our destiny's unsure
Why can't you see what we had
Let the fire burn the ice
Where's the love we once had
Is it all a lie

And I still wonder
Why heaven has died
The skies are all falling
I'm breathing but why
In silence I hold on
To you and I

Closer to insanity
Buries me alive
Where's the life we once had
It cannot be denied
Why can't you see what we had
Let the fire burn the ice
Where's the love we once had
Is it all a lie

And I still wonder
Why heaven has died
The skies are all falling
I'm breathing but why
In silence I hold on
To you and I

You run away
You hide away
To the other side of the universe
Where you're safe from all that hunts you down

But the world has gone
Where you belong
And it feels to late so you're moving on
Can you find your way back home

And I still wonder
Why heaven has died
The skies are all falling
I'm breathing but why
In silence I hold on
To you and I

Every word you're saying is a lie

3 comments:

aris.cs said...

Thumbs up it most certainly is!!!!

It is interesting to see a video that poses questions rather than answers. It seems to me that the angel had enough of war and wants the wings removed as a kind of resignation. But the video is clearly open to interpretation - and its concluding part particularly so.

And you are absolutely right to point out that this is the best track of the album!!!

: )

black symphony said...

Indeed, the angel wants to be set free. Free from pain, from war and from all the suffering. However, it seems that in the end there's something going on as if the angel has regreted having her wings cut and wants to undo that action as she goes back to the church looking a bit anxious and in agony. Of course, one could interpret that move as salvation and relief. As you mention, it is open to multiple interpretations.

aris.cs said...

I see what you mean. I think that when the angel comes running out of the church we may safely assume that she looks relieved - it is after she looks at the sky that the mood of the narrative changes.

Did you notice that the clouds seem to take the shape of an eye? And it gets more complicated if one follows the way in which particular images and lyrics coincide.

For me, it is a very vivid visualisation of responsibility - the cost involved in all major decisions, if you like, which the angel seems to face rather courageously throughout the narrative.