Thursday 24 September 2015

Art and social protest: Black Lives Matter

That day I was carrying a mask because I thought it might get heavy. [The police] just started launching tear gas after tear gas after tear gas. [...] That’s when I was happy I had the gas mask. That gas was really thick, and I was able to walk into it. She had nothing on. She was hurting. If I didn’t have a mask on, my eyes would have been burning too much to ever take that picture. She stayed there for a while and then she started to be overcome from the effects of gas. Someone came and helped her and got her out of there. An amazing person to put up with what she did. 
Quoted in Behind the best pictures from Ferguson, with Getty photographer Scott Olson | Joe Coscarelli, NYMag

"The painting is most definitely informed by my experience, as someone who’s been on the receiving end of police brutality — as well as someone who’s witnessed numerous incidents of police violence toward peaceful protesters," Drooker said. "The composition is a subjective view of someone in the street, beholding a military-style assault by police." 
New Yorker’s Ferguson cover artist has been on the front lines of police protests | Benjamin Mullin, Poynter

No comments: