Saturday 27 August 2011

Sunlight in August: Athens




Kalamaki, Athens, 24.08.20011

Only one person has seen these pictures before uploading, and I found their response very much to the point they said that unless one actually knows where they were taken, they would probably think this is some kind of ideal beach, in some kind of ideal faraway island. This is absolutely right, because there are no ideal faraway islands here. Kalamaki is about a half hour bus ride from the centre of Athens.

Athens has been systematically looked down upon by most of its own residents, who are more than happy to abandon her in the first instance, and by all means during August. And it is precisely then that the city shows its true colors – I wouldnt miss them for the world, and in fact I dont. When I am in Greece in August, it is always Athens hands down. My migrant friends do not go on a holiday, the elderly people who are left behind, because apparently they don’t fit in very well with the coolest possible vacation plan, have more than interesting things to say, and the stray dogs are always pleased to see me. I know other Athenians who choose to stay as well, and sometimes it feels as if we are an informal cult.  

Moreover, isn’t one supposed to acknowledge beauty when they see it? I happen to love the sea, and there’s nothing I can do about it. I spent every summer of my childhood in a dream-like deserted beach, happy, barefoot, and swimming like a fish all day long. So, every time somebody tells me of this fabulous beach they discovered during their fabulous holiday, I am wondering if I remembered to leave the light in the living room on. The cat likes to have a light left on when I go out.

I can’t help it. I never really understood why so many people cannot see beauty even when it lies right in front of them.
  

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love Athens in August too!

aris.cs said...

I'm glad to hear that you do! We are an honourable minority, my dear anonymous : )