Wednesday 15 August 2012

Film quotes #5: The Seventh Seal


Ingmar Bergman's landmark 1957 film The Seventh Seal is such a rare jewel in the history of cinema. It tells the story of a disillusioned knight, Antonius Block (Max von Sydow), who returns from the crusades to find Sweden ravaged by the plague, and torn apart by religious fanaticism and violence. Early on in the film Antonius Block challenges Death (Bengt Ekerot), who has come to claim him, to a game of chess, in an iconic scene which you can see here. The game of chess continues throughout the film, while Antonius Block is tormented by existential questions, as well as tries to help the people he meets along the way.

I have always felt that the film's centerpiece is the scene where Antonius Block meets a family of travelling players; Jof (Nils Poppe), an innocent man who sees visions but others think of him as a fool, his wife Mia (Bibi Andersson), and their infant son Mikael. Wild strawberries and a bowl of milk is all they have to offer him, but it is because of this gesture and their kindness that Antonius Bloch will be able to reflect upon the joy of life in a new light; and although he knows that eventually it will not be possible to win the game of chess, it is these kind people that he will help escape Death.

ANTONIUS BLOCK: To believe is to suffer. It is like loving someone in the dark who never answers.

(He takes a strawberry)

ANTONIUS BLOCK: How unreal that is in your company. It means nothing to me now.

MIA: You're not so solemn now.

ANTONIUS BLOCK: I shall remember this hour of peace. The strawberries, the bowl of milk, your faces in the dusk. Mikael asleep, Jof with his lute. I shall remember our words and shall bear the memory between my hands as carefully as a bowl of fresh milk.

(He takes a sip of milk)

ANTONIUS BLOCK: And this will be a sign and a great content.

(He walks away, and DEATH appears behind him)

DEATH: I have been waiting.

ANTONIUS BLOCK: Forgive me. I was delayed.

(They sit around the chessboard)

ANTONIUS BLOCK: As I have given away my strategy, I beat a retreat. (Smiling) Here, it's your turn.

DEATH: Why so pleased?

ANTONIUS BLOCK: That is my secret. 


No comments: